Monday, April 26, 2010

Great Escape

Ace in the sky shot down to die,

Falling clouds of smoke choke,

Count lucky landed safely,

Search for a common entity,

Hard when surrounded by enemy,

Captured arms in the air don't shoot,

Vicious tongues spit rifle butt quick,

Boot stomp hope sun set can't cope,

Loss of my freedom watched by demon,

Sentry at the ready always pacing steady,

Some make a break iron sight forsake,

I walk these grounds probing for weakness,

Guards bribe like leeches control meekness,

Acquire contraband just like we planned,

Construct tunnels deep ferrets deaf creep,

Enemy old ace made tragic mistake,

Left us in luxury what a catastrophe,

Select are chosen final day approaching,

Chance strikes casual encounter spikes,

Hidden passage unveil spark fail,

Under scrutiny postpone attempt to flee,

Finally set to cause calamity,

First to go I tread slow,

Not a sound I make every risk I take,

Crawling under supports of our bed boards,

Upon reaching exit nobody could guess it,

Delayed into winter now door freeze shiver,

We can't deliver as expected path rejected,

Miscalculated short of goal ill-fated,

Lucky seventy-six subject dishonorable fix,

Only three claim freedom fifty never see them,

Upon capture the long drive to hell,

The enemy officer stops to tell,

Stretch for a moment while I draw a weapon,

A shot to the head a morbid lesson,

As I step out of the vehicle I know my fate,

I think back to our great escape,

For months we worked with none the wiser,

A network of secrecy no trace just fire,

My heart fills with pride as I prepare to die,

No gunshot is heard no pain is felt,

I accept the outcome the cards have dealt,

For this life but a small price in the scheme of it all,

We disrupted the war machine and one day this reich will fall

No comments:

Post a Comment